Young rock hounds will explore the sciences of geology, mineralogy, and crystal growing as they learn about rocks and the minerals that form them with this kit. They'll dig deeper and discover the fascinating crystal structures of these minerals.
Much more than just a crystal-growing kit, this experiment kit teaches kids the chemistry of crystals and the geological science behind rock formation with more than 18 hands-on projects and investigations. Full-color, 32-page experiment manual is included.
Activities and Experiments:
- Grow three chemically different types of crystals that exhibit not only different colors, but also different crystal shapes.
- Build three-dimensional geometric models of common crystals shapes including octahedrons, tetrahedrons, and rhomboids.
- Mold your own crystal geode - a hollow rock with crystals growing inside!
- Learn how to test and identify minerals with your very own collection of real specimens included in the kit.
- Conduct tests to determine a mineral's chemical and physical properties such as color, luster, streak color, hardness, density, magnetic properties, and carbon, sulfur, or iron content.
- Investigate the geologic rock cycle.
- Learn how the three main categories of rock - igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic - are formed, altered, destroyed and formed again.
Ages 8 and up.